Sunday, September 19, 2010

Nervous Exhaustion

They (the media) don't use term much anymore but 20 or 30 years ago, you'd frequently read about some celeb or rock star taking a breather from their activities due to "nervous exhaustion." Probably a euphemism for rehab.

I feel exhausted this weekend after several weeks of flurry. Nevetheless, the only OD'ing I've had lately is from ibuprofen or naproxin sodium. Just finished my 3rd round of 9 or 10 days of double dose. This one seemed to work, and the knee actually feels better. I even put in an impromptu 3.5 miler on Tuesday with the middle school xc kids because I forgot my bike that day. Knee didn't ache the next day, nor did it buckle. Good signs, although it's still not ready.

Then on Thursday we put on the middle school race, unoffically known as the Golden Leaf Invitational, where we had 7 schools and 100 runners doing 2 miles at UAF. How cool is that? I enjoy working with that age group, as awkward and unfocused as they can be. It's a great time to help them develop an interest.

On Friday Mikko ran in Salcha. He was on the bubble--had to place in top 7 to make the varsity team for regionals and state. Despite a very hectic day (5 tests and the admins almost didn't let him run due to a misunderstanding), Mikko took charge of his own destiny and went out with the 2nd pack and held on for 6th overall (17:28) and 3rd on the team for the day--so he's going to state!

So the Equinox is history and hey, didn't do too bad with the men's predictions: Matias 2:52, Strabel 2:55, and Dyer 2:56 (was off on his time, which was just 2 min slower than his debut on a much faster Mayor's Marathon course last June).

Women's. Well, I didn't realize Jane Leblond was running (agg, I wronglfully put her down for ca. 3:20 last year).

Congrats to racers, organizers, and anyone who participated. Quite a nice day.

Had a good time at the race yesterday cheering people on, including my son Tristan who ran the relay with some friends. And then spent the late afternoon at Sheep Creek crossing helping out traffic control for the last walkers. They were appreciative that we were still out there.

After the race I must have had half a dozen people ask if it was hard to be on the sidelines for Equinox...no and yes was the best I could answer. I like the Equinox and was looking forward to the relay, but missing it wasn't too bad. It's still fun to watch. What bothers me is the big unknown--whether I will even be able to even start running again by next spring or some future year. I can miss some Equinoxes and still feel like a participant. But maybe not being able to run or race much in the future; yes that bothers me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home