Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Looks like I’m going to lose this battle…

Most all of us do, eventually, and this is probably going to end my running career.

But how you fight it, that’s what defines you.

Went to the orthopedist the other day and again, based on the arthroscopy last spring, I have Stage 2 osteoarthritis in my knee. Seemed like nothing at the time, but now I'm still coming to terms with the outcome of my foreshortened summer of running.

He indicated that he had hoped that I’d be running and racing by now-- after four months of rest and three of physical therapy. Nevertheless, the good news is that things are improving incrementally and over the past week I have been running up to 30 min every other day with only minor pain, which usually hits the next day.

So, maybe that round was a draw.

Rounds 1 and 2, initial injury and NYC Marathon debacle were near knockouts last year; Round 3, surgery and comeback I win; Round 4, the latest, summer injury; with the long rehab of Round 5 a tie. So that makes it 1-3-1 during the past 12 months.

Round 6 will be over the next five months, with the goal to make it through ski season (maybe a snowshoe race or two), with things better off than now. To even up the score I have to make it through next summer with no additional injury. Look for an overhauled training system, one based primarily on injury prevention and getting to the starting line with a smile.

In the meantime I really look forward to knocking heads with local masters skiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home