Thursday, May 20, 2010

Solution to the "Classic" Daniels Tempo Run

We'll see how resourceful these guys are.

On Wednesday I went to the West Valley track and attempted my first quantitative workout of the year. I wanted run a tempo effort with a precise track. It was not hot, but 70 degrees is the warmest I've run in since early last September.

Here's the problem: I ran a classic Daniels tempo run and did 5.2 (it was actually about 5.18) km. The effort would score a 77.7% on a WAVA table/calculator. What was the pace, and what is a good predicted pace for an upcoming 5K (TBD in early June)?

Solution (forget WAVA):
1) What is a classic Daniels tempo?
Google search comes up with kemibe's Running Times article from 1999. http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=5615

He doesn't exactly label it as classic, but straight from physiologist/coach Jack Daniels' book The Daniels' Running Formula: "A tempo run is nothing more than 20 minutes of steady running a threshold pace."

2) Figure out the pace.
I ran approximately 5,180 meters in 20 minutes. That's 4.317 meters/second, which is 6:13 per mile.

3) What is a reasonable goal for the 5K?
Just look up a Daniels calculator at and plug in the numbers. Or reverse the rule of thumb for tempo runs, "about 25 to 30 seconds slower than 5K pace (kemibe 1999)"

So 5:43 to 5:48 pace or 17:45 to 18:00 pace.

The WAVA is just a confounder.

Anyway, I have no base to go with and a general lack of speed. Running is getting more comfortable, but I'm four to six weeks away from feeling strong. So probably not enough time for a blazing time at Midnight Sun Run. In my head I still think 34s, my body says otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home