Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mwuahhhaaaaahhahaa! Be afraid!

Holy smokes, I saw last month Vernon Campbell of Anchorage ran a sick 16:35 5K. That shatters my 17:01 from last year at the Menard Run, which I won't be doing this weekend. I'd like to have the chance to go foot to foot with him/as long as I'm in shape and he isn't--yar just kidding. Plus Barney Griffith, and John Clark, also 50. I've been to three Anchorage running races, all state championships, but they haven't shown at the same time. But this year, I don't know if I'd have much fight, and they're all really good runners.

It would be even more fun to team up with those blokes, although they probably wouldn't stoop to taking on some Fairbanks trash, and go down to USATF XC team championships!

Chena River Run went as well/better than expected considering 5 weeks of running, with an April average of 25 miles/week. Even though I told myself not to go out too fast it was hard to hold back and I ran that first mile almost as fast as when I'm fit. Training from November through April was at about 40% of normal for that period. I really tied up over the last mile, but 18:05 and an age group win was a solid return.

Last weekend I ran the Murphy Dome Roam, but as a workout. Yeah yeah, we've all heard that one before.

The 11 mile circuit, 10 on dirt roads, starts at about 550 ft, climbs to over 1800. I took the long way up the hill (clockwise), instead of the short 2.5 mile climb with a long gradual downhill (counterclockwise). I ran the first 3 miles (400 ft climbing) pretty easy at about 8:00 pace, before picking it up. The goal was a 30 to 35 min tempo effort to Murphy Dome Road, just the 8 mile point. I averaged about 7:10 pace and kept my heart rate going for the duration. That was a tough run--a sustained hill climb--and I was exhausted for the rest of the day.

Kind of fun going the opposite direction of everyone else and cheering on as many as I could. Finished by 'jogging' down Murphy Dome Road, on 8% to 10% slope, at about 7 min pace. Finish 1:22:40, about 7:30 pace.

The Dome Roam usually draws most of the better Fairbanks runners, and the field was semi-loaded this year with Saari, Eversman, Brinegar, and Kramer in the mix plus several UAF runners. Jane Leblond set a new women's record, with a 1:16. Look for her to run a 2:55 or faster marathon this year.

One of these days I'm going to race the entire distance. Not that'll scare anyone! My racing is not much to be afraid of anymore, if it ever was. 41 miles for the week. Build up continues. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home