Friday, March 30, 2012

Transition!

I write about this every year, the transition from skiing-ski training to running. It's sometimes frustrating (less than ideal conditions, injury risk, and running like plodder for several weeks) but also somewhat exciting and this year moreso. I've been looking forward to it since October, and then got even more fired up about running back in January when we were locked into the six week cold snap and I had some promising workouts on the treadmill and indoor track.

Then skiing happened and that was good. Now it's time to start thinking again about running.

Even though I'd like to jump right into running it takes a fair amount of time, for me about 2 months, which I break into three week segments.

Weeks 1 - 3, adaptation. I've been at 15-20 miles a week so I'll build to 35-40. This week 25, then 30-35, and 35-40. Mostly easy running, but I'll mix in some strides next week and--geez that's early--Beat Beethoven 5K in just two weeks. I'll ski at least twice a week as long as snow lasts.

Weeks 4 - 6, build up and endurance training. Ideally, weeks of about 40, 45, and 50 in succession with a weekly tempo run, and some strides or fartlek about once a week. A weekly long run will increase from about 10 to 12 or 13 miles. Wrap up this phase with Chena River Run 5K. I'd like to get back into the top 10 there, but by recent years would need a 17:10 or 17:20. That's tough on the winding Chena course.

Weeks 7 to 9, pre-competition training. Maintain mileage at 50 to 55 but add in more 5K-10K pace work plus some speed (mile pace or faster), the latter are very short sessions like 5 X 300 or 4 X 400.

At the end of this I'd like to run a half (Trent Waldron Glacier half marathon in Anchorage is a good bet), and then tune up for Midnight Sun Run (probably) and Flint Hills Mile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home