Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Transitioning, transitioning, (spring will arrive some day, really it will)

Had a brisk run today, underdressed from head to toe. 20 F and a little breeze from the north. My little fleece running hat didn't quite cover my ears, I only had one light t-shirt under my pullover running top, running shorts, and ski pants, but no layers. Bottomed out with thin running socks. No slips or falls, but I did step into an ice bath of a puddle on the last quarter mile.

With 2 feet of snow on the ground, ice patches stretching half the length of a football field, slush, and some dry pavement, we have it all right now. Not complaining, although winter is hanging on it's actually very nice to be out this April. I have run about every other day since the last week of March and while not feeling spry or springy, all's well, and I'm up to 6 or 7 miles, with some surges/pickups/tempo running tossed in to keep it interesting.

Got my six month knee checkup the yesterday, and we're heading/hoping for a tract of management and maintenance for osteoarthritis that covers the long haul--maybe several years. This will take smart running (cross training, lower mileage, fewer track sessions, more hill reps, etc.), a bit of pain tolerance and pain management, as well as ongoing PT to keep my muscles strong. The good Dr. said no need for a return visit unless something goes off.

Running marathons may well be in my past, and I'm okay with that. Unlike skiing, the marathon never was my best event. And months of training and walking around with stiff sore legs after those 18 to 21 milers was never all that fun. Nor was chafing.

Nevertheless, these days in most running circles/communities--if you're over 22--the marathon where all the glory lies. Well, after making my debut and follow-up in 1983, I went 16 years without running a marathon and another 5 years(most of it injured) before moving here and doing the Equinox a few months later. So if there is no glory, there will be no glory.

I still like the 10K (wish we had a couple more choices here) and love the half marathon. 5Ks are torture, but that which makes you suffer makes you stronger/tougher for the longer events. We'll see about the local trail runs, most of those have wicked downhills which might not be conducive to staying healthy. Of course I plan to keep healthy to run in the cross country series that we are planning, at least in some of the races.

Meanwhile, skiing's still here and will be for a while, so just taking it light and easy. Mostly classic because skating seems harder on the knee than running right now. Klister rocks! (Tamara hates it because I tend to leave little klister prints here and there).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good, thoughtful blog post, Roger. You're smart, and tough enough to make the best out of your knee situation -- and you just may surprise yourself how fast you can still run without a lot of high running mileage.
Good that you bought that mountain bike, too!
- Grambo

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home